6 Top Tips for Successful Stocktaking
Apr 06 2018
Stock taking is essential for businesses that hold stock. It’s a process that ensures that no stock is missing and it can reveal situations of theft. Stocktaking may seem like a chore, but it doesn’t have to be. If you run a business that holds stock, then keep reading to discover some useful tips for carrying out a successful stocktake.
1. For the stock take to be accurate and thorough, make sure that the stock room is clean and tidy. Stock must be organised and in the right places. It is essential that the stock-room is tidy and that the stock is organised and in the right places.
2. while the stock take is being conducted, lock down the stock room. If orders are being taken and dispatched at the same time, locking down the stock room may not be possible. If this is the case, all of the said orders need to be recorded and reported.
3. Ensure that there are no distractions. If there are distractions, in an inaccurate stock take may take place. Try to minimise noise and the use of mobiles. Of course regular breaks should be allocated so that stock takers keep focused.
4. Stocktakers need equipment so provide them with a clipboard, different coloured pens, calculators, and stock count sheets. Do not record the amount of each unit that is supposed to be in stock, just what is actually in front of you.
5. Do not estimate anything, count every single item. If a case says there are 12 items inside it, you still need to count each item just in case.
6. Once the counting is complete, the physical amount on hand will need to be updated on all systems (websites, accountancy packages etc.). Any discrepancies should be noted and followed up accordingly.
If your premises needs help with food or drink stocktaking then call the professionals at Synergy Stocktaking and find out how we can help keep the cash in your business!
Visit our website and check us out on Facebook!
Click here to find out which of our representatives are covering your area.